Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Let's romp.

I confess. I have a serious guilty pleasure. But it may not be what you think (or is it?). Here goes: I'm addicted to rompers. Or onesies. Or whatever Fashion 101 decides to call them. No, I don't have a fetish for baby clothes, but I have a curious adoration for this sweet little grown up trend in the form of a mini jumpsuit. Am I crazy? Maybe. I've never been known to leave the house in flared jeans and flip flops (yawn). I wear what I want. And sometimes it's ridiculous. Do I care? I think you can answer that question on your own. So let's get to it. Rompers. They surfaced the fashion scene a couple of years ago, but I don't think many were quite ready for their abrupt entrance. A few hollydud starlets tried getting their stylists to dress them in the little gems, a grip of hipster girls up and down the east and west coast latched onto the trend like nose candy at a bad dance party. But the rompers didn't romp around for long. Were they just another ironic article of clothing to 'wow' and 'ahh' the fashionless world around us? Perhaps. The problem was they were never really worn right. They looked too much like underwear, they weren't accessorized enough, they were accessorized too much, or the person wearing it just didn't know what the fuck they were doing. Queue the new and improved romper: A sundress in the form of shorts. Thank you, Spring/Summer Fashion 2010. Rompers this time around know a little bit more about what they're trying to do. Pair them with a skinny belt and flats and you've got a fresh summer outfit. Or wear them with a bowler hat, combat boots, and a jean jacket, and you've just given your adorable little number an edge. But please, for the love of God, stay away from the rompers that resemble lingerie. Britney Spears did not. Need I say more?



















The romper pictured right is almost identical to the one I bought at one of my favorite vintage stores in Berkeley (they are also a hair salon), Down At Lulu's: http://www.downatlulus.com/






























Ok. Maybe if this came in my size I would wear it. But only because it says 'I love Morrissey'. And if you know me, you know that I do, indeed, love Morrissey.




Also, this band is rad. I'm listening to them right now. Just thought I'd mention. Because they're worth mentioning. Even when it's out of fucking nowhere.

1 comment:

  1. ive been meaning to get one. Victoria secret has a cute oneee

    ReplyDelete