Thursday, August 12, 2010

Hello world, I'm your wild girl.

I was listening to The Runaways on iTunes this evening while perusing Craigslist for places to live, and a disturbing question came upon me: Why aren't there more tough chicks out there? Rather, why aren't there more tough looking chicks out there? Us girls are so quick to jump on the girly trendy train.. the florals, the pastels, the flowy skirts, the sundresses, the sunhats, the dainty sandals, the 'I'm really wearing makeup even though I don't look like I'm wearing any makeup' makeup, the softspoken, poetic indie music, the bicycle with the basket of daisies, etc. etc. etc. blah blah blah. Fuck that. I want to shed my pussy wings and grow a real pair. I don't see enough girls around here embracing their tough side. No, I don't mean the girls who talk behind your back at bars, or the girls who give you dirty looks when you're smoking a cigarette at a party and minding your own business, or the girls who have full sleeves, bartend at dives and call you honey when you want to order a drink but roll their eyes when you ask for a vodka sprite. I'm talking about the girls who don't give a shit about anything, including what people think. The girls who take risks in fashion and don't merely follow it. I love black, I love rips, I love holes, I love fringe, I love studs, I love metal, I love leather, I love combat boots, I love it all. And I love a chick who can wear any of that shit and wear it fucking brilliantly.




Speaking of tough girl chic, I recently came upon a Japanese clothing line called Moussy. A line that 'specializes in punk rock/new wave styles' (thank you thinkcontra.com). Why aren't there more lines like this?! Yeah, yeah, I may be a bit behind in this discovery, but I don't care. While many may know about Moussy, there are more that don't. So check it:














But let's not forget who brought me to write this blog in the first place: The Runaways. Joan, Cherie, Lita, Sandy and Jackie. Oh, girls. Why did you have to fall prey to the monsters of alcohol, drugs, fame and sex, that you could barely finish your first album, let alone start a sophomore one? Who the fuck cares. You were sixteen years old. You started the first all girl rock band in history. You were smoking hot and you wore whatever the fuck you wanted. I don't blame you. I'll be your cherry bomb.

















No comments:

Post a Comment